Judge Wright is the Presiding Judge for the Rosebud Court of Record and the City of Lott Municipal Court. In addition, he is a member of the Diaz & Wright law firm and works in the areas of federal and state litigation. Matthew earned the rank of Eagle with Gold Palm in the Boy Scouts of America and is a Vigil Member of the Order of the Arrow.
Matthew Wright teaches Negotiations and Conflict Resolution at the Hankamer School of Business – Baylor University and is a coach for Texas A&M School of Law national moot court teams.
In 2017 Judge Wright was honored by Texas A&M School of Law with the Public Interest Law Fellowship. The award was given in recognition of his work with local charities, veterans program, disaster recovery, and court improvements.
Matthew Wright was recognized as the 2011 American Bar Association’s Outstanding Young Non-Profit Lawyer of the Year. Mr. Wright was inducted into The National Order of Barristers, the legal honor society. He is licensed as an attorney-at-law and counselor in the Texas Supreme Court, Missouri Supreme Court, and the Missouri Eastern Federal District. Mr. Wright was recently nominated and sworn into the Bar of the United States Supreme Court. He studied conflict resolution and negotiations at Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel, with Hamline University School of Law. He has attended the Harvard University John F. Kennedy School of Government’s Program on Leadership for Senior Executives.
Mr. Wright was in non-profit management and fundraising from 1998 until 2014. He started off as a grant writer and ended his career in fundraising as the Interim CEO & President of Scott & White Healthcare Foundation. He has written and supervised the submission of over 600 grants and has raised over $65,000,000 in grants and individual donations. In addition, he has worked as a team member, led, been an executive for, or collaborated in the raising of over $150,000,000. Funds raised have renovated and built the Meyer Family Abuse Center, Reicher Catholic High School Msg. Deering Center, McLane Children’s Hospital, McClinton Cancer Center at Hillcrest, and other non-profit offices as well as providing operational support for research, education, military mental health support, disaster preparedness and clinical care.
JUDICIAL EXPERIENCE & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
• Presiding Judge, Rosebud Court of Record
◦ Worked with the State Legislature to ensure proper appeals in municipal courts of record.
◦ Re-started jury trials & mandated pre-trial procedures eliminating “deals with the judge.”
◦ Worked with city leadership to automate and overhaul the court record system.
◦ Helped to create an ordinance program and early intervention program to clean-up the city and abandoned properties.
◦ Created an e-warrant system for Falls County law enforcement to more easily obtain blood and arrest warrants in a timely manner.
◦ Developed an area-wide injury prevention program twice recognized by the Texas Department of Transportation.
• Presiding Judge, City of Lott Municipal Court
◦ Re-started jury trials & mandated pre-trial procedures.
◦ Worked with city leadership to update the court’s computer systems and records.
◦ Introduced an injury and traffic safety program to the community.
BAR ADMISSION & CERTIFICATIONS
• Supreme Court of the United States
• The State of Texas
• The State of Missouri
• Eastern Federal District of Missouri
• Northern Federal District of Texas
• Western Federal District of Texas
• Credentialed Mediator, Texas Mediator Credentialing Association 2015 - 2017
• Baylor University – BA International Relations
• Texas A&M School of Law* – Juris Doctorate (*Formerly Texas Wesleyan University School of Law)
• Hamline University Law at Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel – Study Abroad
• American Bar Association
◦ Business Law Section
◦ Judicial Section
• Missouri Bar Association
• State Bar of Texas
• Texas Municipal Courts Association
AWARDS AND HONORS
• Texas A&M School of Law 2017 Public Interest Law Fellowship
• Texas Bar College 2017
• Texas Pro Bono College 2015
• 2011 American Bar Association Outstanding Young Non-Profit Attorney
• Delta Theta Phi - International Law Fraternity
• Order of the Barristers Honor Society Inducted 2008
• Achieved the rank of Eagle Scout with Gold Palm
• Honored as Vigil Member of the Order of the Arrow Honor Society
• Named Grand Marshall for the City of Rosebud Christmas Parade, 2013
• Texas A&M University School of Law* (*Formerly Texas Wesleyan University School of Law)
◦ Commencement and Hooding Speaker;
◦ Phi Delta Phi, National Honor Society;
• Texas A&M Law Asian Judicial Institute’s Training for National Prosecutors, 2017
• Studied at Hebrew University through Hamline School of Law, Jerusalem, Israel, 2007
• Cultural exchange in the State of Kuwait 1997
• International Relief in the Republic of Haiti 1995
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC ACTIVITIES
• Town Square Community Foundation, Board Member 2016 – Present
• Rosebud Community Development (Rosebud 20/20), Host & Coordinator, Present
• Association of the United States Army – Greater Fort Hood Chapter, Offices Held: Board Member (2005-2011), Vice-President of
• Aware Central Texas (Child Abuse), Board of Director, 2006 – 2010
• McLennan County Access to Recovery, Founder & Chair, 2009 – 2016
• Association of Healthcare Philanthropy, Member 2005 – December 2014Central Texas Association of Fundraising Professionals,
Offices Held: Treasurer (2003 – 2004), Vice-President (2007 – 2009), President Elect (2010), President (2011), Government Relations (2002 – 2012), Member 1998 – 2017
• Association of Fundraising Professionals (Intl.) Government Affairs Com. (2010 – Present)
• Central Texas Astronomical Society, Board Consultant for Paul J. Meyer Observatory 1999 – 2005
• Family Abuse Center, Board Member, 2004
• Central Texas Voluntary Organizations Active In Disaster, President & Founder, 2000 – 2004
• FEMA – Local Emergency Fund Board for Bell County 2000 – 2004
• FEMA – Local Emergency Fund Board for Coryell County 2000 – 2004
• Central Texas Education Network, Board of Director, 1998 – 2000
PUBLICATIONS & NEWSCASTS
Editorial Board and Contributor for the Non-Profit Organizations Newsletter of the American Bar Association, 2011 – Present
“The Messiest Catch: Fishing for Healthcare Donors in a Changing Sea,” Business Law Today, American Bar Association, Summer Edition 2014
“Non-Profit Regulations & Compliance in the 21st Century” American Bar Association – Business Section, Non-Profit Organization Committee, To Be Published Summer of 2014.
“HIPAA, Sarbanes-Oxley, IRS, USPS and the states: Juggling complicated US regulations,” Spring 2009, Association of Healthcare Philanthropy, AHP Journal
“Scott & White HomeFront after November 5th Tragedy”, Fox News Channel, Fox Report, Aired on November 8, 2009
“A Taste of Israel” travel and food blog, Waco Tribune-Herald, Cox Media, December 2007-January 2008.
Various features and interviews on KPLE-TV, Killeen, Texas. 2000 – 2004.
Various news interviews on NewsTalk1230, Austin 8, KWTX, KCEN, KXXV. 2000 – Present.